tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 02 14:02:53 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rIQ

Qov ([email protected])

pojlIj vIparHa'.

- Qov

Here's are some example sentences for how I understand -lI' and -taH.

1. veng ghoStaH ghotpu'.
2. veng ghoSlI' ghotpu'.

3. Duj tI'taH jonpIn.
4. Duj tI'lI' jonpIn.

I interpret #1 as meaning that people are always coming to the city. Maybe it's New York or veng wa'DIch--a big city that always has people going in and out.

In interpet #2 as meaning that some people are on their way to the city. They left some time ago, and they're haven't arrived yet, but they will eventually.

In #3, the engineer is always fixing the ship. There's always something broken on the ship, so the engineer is always fixing something. That's his job--it doesn't end. In #4, there is some damage he is fixing and eventually he will finish. Maybe he's repairing the warp core and the ship can't move until he's done.

In other words, the progressive (-lI') is used for an action that *unfolds* over a period of time with a definite beginning and a definite end. The continuous (-taH) is used for an action that happens over a period of time without a definite beginning or end.

I don't want to use -lI' with rIQ because I see rIQ as a state rather than a process that unfolds over time. Either you are injured or you're not. It may be temporary, ie, have a definite end, but it doesn't *unfold* over time.

I'm sure someone will dispute my interpretation, though.

bI'reng