tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 26 22:32:47 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Dargh HIvje' teblu'bogh

De'vID jonpIn ([email protected])

De'vID:
>> Changing to:
>> {Zen}'e' ghaH yu'meH DuSaQ'a' ghojmoHwI', Such ghojmoHwI'.
>>
>> Better?  Is that a right use of {-'e'}?

Qov:
> You feel that the topicalizer suffix sets off Zen'e' in such a way that it
> won't be interpreted as the object of yu', but that it has a valid role in
> the sentence?  I'm not familiar with that technique and didn't understand
> it.

I don't feel particularly strongly about it, but I wanted to keep the
sentence short and avoid splitting it into multiple purposes.  The
original only said that the professor came to inquire about Zen, that
he wishes to understand it is only implied, and I wanted to avoid an
explicit {yaj}.  But I guess the {-'e'} doesn't really work.  I was
going for, "As for Zen (on the topic of Zen), the professor visited
(the master) to interrogate him."

Qov:
> I would definitely use the Zen master's name there (nInIn?), not ghaH,
> and be explicit about whatever it is Zen is doing there. The whole story is
> about the concept Zen, I think you can afford to give it a whole clause.
> {Zen yajchu'meH DuSaQ'a' ghojmoHwI', nInIn yu'meH Such}?

Okay, I'll change it to this.

Qov:
> {nInIn Zen
> paQDI'norgh QoymeH Such DuSaQ'a' ghojmoHwI'.}?  Read the sentences slowly
> imagining what object and subject the reader coul imagine for each verb if
> they have no information about the story and block the incorrect
> interpretations.

Sometimes, though, that information is also ambiguous in the original.
 I try to balance preserving the flavour of the original with clarity,
but probably err far more often on the wrong side than I should.

Qov:
> Thumbs up on the tu'lum.  I'd put it in the ghojmoHwI''s dialogue. He's
> clearly a bit of a snob.

That's a good place for it.  jatlh ghojmoHwI': <tlhoy buy' tu'lum!
Dargh chellaHbe' vay'!>

--
De'vID