tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 26 11:18:15 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Dargh HIvje' teblu'bogh

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

At 10:32 '?????' 4/26/2012, De'vID jonpIn wrote:
De'vID:
>> {Zen}'e' yu'meH DuSaQ'a' ghojmoHwI' Such.

Qov:
> The object of yu' is the one who is expected to answer. If he has a question about the concept of Zen or is questioning Zen as in questioning his faith, perhaps {Zen yajmeH ghelmeH}.

There's an implicit {ghaH} in there, standing in for {pIn'a'}.

Changing to:
{Zen}'e' ghaH yu'meH DuSaQ'a' ghojmoHwI', Such ghojmoHwI'.

Better?  Is that a right use of {-'e'}?

You feel that the topicalizer suffix sets off Zen'e' in such a way that it won't be interpreted as the object of yu', but that it has a valid role in the sentence? I'm not familiar with that technique and didn't understand it. I would definitely use the Zen master's name there (nInIn?), not ghaH, and be explicit about whatever it is Zen is doing there. The whole story is about the concept Zen, I think you can afford to give it a whole clause. {Zen yajchu'meH DuSaQ'a' ghojmoHwI', nInIn yu'meH Such}? {nInIn Zen paQDI'norgh QoymeH Such DuSaQ'a' ghojmoHwI'.}? Read the sentences slowly imagining what object and subject the reader coul imagine for each verb if they have no information about the story and block the incorrect interpretations.

Voragh:
> This might be a good opportunity to use {tu'lum}:
> [...]
> For "Meiji era, Meiji Period" we actually have {bov} "era", which is used in the {paq'batlh}:

Oh, both good suggestions.  {bov} qaq law' {poH} qaq puS. (Can I stick
a {-bej} on the two {qaq}s here?  How do I say "A is definitely
preferably to B"?)

I want to preserve the parallel to the English (and Japanese) "a cup
of tea", but OTOH {tu'lum} is a word that one doesn't get a lot of
opportunity to use, and a meeting between a Zen master and a professor
is presumably an upper-classy setting.  I'll have to think about that
one.

Thumbs up on the tu'lum. I'd put it in the ghojmoHwI''s dialogue. He's clearly a bit of a snob.