tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 25 15:19:41 2012

[Tlhingan-hol] Dargh HIvje' teblu'bogh

De'vID jonpIn ([email protected])

I actually first posted (a version of) this to the mailing list way
back on... Jan. 4, 2000.  I've revised it since then, so maybe it's
worth posting again.

nIpongan pIn'a' ghaH {Nan-in}'e'.  qaStaHvIS {Meiji} poH yIn.
{Zen}'e' yu'meH DuSaQ'a' ghojmoHwI' Such.

Dargh qang {Nan-in}.  buy'choH SuchwI' HIvje' 'ach qangtaH.

vIHtaHbogh Dargh bej DuSaQ'a' ghojmoHwI'.  jotHa'qu'choHpu'DI' qagh,
jatlh: <tlhoy buy'! Dargh chellaHbe' vay'!>

<Dargh HIvje'vam Darur,> jatlh {Nan-in}.  <nItebbej vuDlIj law'
qechlIj law' je. bI'reS HIvje'lIj DachImmoHbe'chugh chay' {Zen}
qa'aghlaH?>

And, the English version (itself a translation from Japanese by Paul Reps):

A Cup of Tea

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a
university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain
himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and
speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

Also, the last time I posted this story, I coined a Klingon simile:
<buy'; Dargh HIvje' rur>.  This refers to a person who is unable to
learn because he's already full of his own opinions.

--
De'vID