tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 29 14:21:20 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Countries

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

It's an awesome theory.&nbsp; And they generated this CD ROM for their
comrades to many of&nbsp; the languages of this planet, but the first
batch got screwed up so they only had pronunciation for the Klingon and
not the target languages, and the computer generated voices messed up
some of the Klingon, too. so they dumped the lot here, and we got
them.<br><br>
At 13:23 29/10/2011, Josh Badgley wrote:<br>
your email.&nbsp; Perhaps I am missing the point of the new Eurotalk
software, but let me explain my crackpot theory.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
everyday words Klingons would use if they lived on Earth today&quot;, as
Eurotalk's website says. So pretend a Klingon decides to visit 21st
century Earth, for whatever reason. Maybe a whole expedition visits earth
and they scatter out across the various nations of the planet. I would
imagine this would be a situation analagous to the first European
&quot;explorers&quot; visiting the Far East for the first time, or the
Americas, or any other remote corner of the world.&nbsp; Now assume our
Klingon friend doesn not speak any Terran languages.&nbsp; Instead, he
(or she) has to learn bit by bit the native language of wherever they
wind up.&nbsp; So one Klingon arrives in Germany and picks up some
German.&nbsp; Perhaps they don't master German, but they learn enough to
get by.&nbsp; For him (or her), the name of the country is
&quot;Deutschland&quot;, not &quot;Germany&quot;.&nbsp; Later on this
Klingon relates his/her adventures to other Klingons.&nbsp; Maybe he has
to file a report to his superiors. He tells them he's been on this weird
planet.&nbsp; He says specifically he had spent time in a nation that the
natives called DoyIchlan.&nbsp; So that's the word that gets added to the
Klingon lexicon.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
-- jhb<br>
&nbsp;<br>