tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 17 08:07:22 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] plural of <De' jengva'>

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

Klingon data storage devices are coming up in my story. There are a few kinds.

At 07:08 17/11/2011, Steven Boozer wrote:
Lieven:
>Next, adding to this situation, we must remember that the TalkNow
>Software is written on how "a visiting Klingon would call a thing
>he sees on earth". Form this point of view, apparently (my guess)
>Klingons don't have CDs. That's why the Klingon calls it a
>"data-plate". And the plural of plate is {ngop}, of course.

De'vID:
>> In TNG, the Federation seems to transfer data on some kind
>> of "data crystal" (what?  why don't they have wifi or
>> Bluetooth or something?).  Do we know what Klingons use?

IIRC we've seen Klingon tricorders and PADDs, but I don't recall ever seeing a data storage device. In TOS those solid plastic squares were called "microtapes" or "data solids". In TNG those translucent plastic rectangles (about 1 x 2 inches) were called "isolinear chips" and in DS9 the Cardassians - and everyone else on Terok Nor - used "isolinear rods" (plastic cylinders about the size of a cigarette). The USS Voyager used "bio-neural gel packs".

The object has been called *{De' bobcho'} "data module" once or twice on the List. I've also seen *{De' ta} but that seems to refer more to the type of file rather than physical format: e.g. *{De' ta} "data file", *{ghogh ta} "sound file", {ghotpu' tamey} "personnel files", *{HaSta ta} "video recording/hologram", {may' ta} "record of battle", etc.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons