tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 17 12:30:38 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] plural of <De' jengva'>

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 6:22 AM, De'vID jonpIn <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yes.  MO used the example to illustrate that "foot" pluralises as "feet"
> when it refers to a body part, but as "foots" when it refers to a kind of
> light.  Thus, the plural of "foot" (the light) is not necessarily the same
> as the plural of "foot" (the body part).

I would explain the "foot -> foots" pluralization this way: The "foot"
isnt the thing being pluralized. It's just specifying the actual,
albeit elided, lights. On the other hand, the "foot -> feet"
pluralization is because "foot" indeed refers to a foot.

> Now, this raises the question: if Klingons had <qam wovmoHwI'[mey]> which
> they refer to as <qam> in the abbreviated singular, is the plural of the
> abbreviation <qammey> or <qamDu'>?  The above suggests <qammey>, but OTOH we
> have examples of body parts being used metaphorically to refer to
> non-body-part objects having plurals in <-Du'> (e.g., <DeSqIvDu'>, <jIb
> Ho'Du'>).

Those are strong suggestions that the choice of plural is based on the
word itself and not on how it's used. However, we also have the
contrary example of {DIr} getting {-Du'} as a literal body part and
{-mey} as a more generic reference. Add the observation that <qam> is
just acting as an attributive noun for the missing plural object, and
I would lean heavily toward <qammey> here.

-- ghunchu'wI'