tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 17 08:19:51 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay chorghmaH jav: <Heghba'lI'>

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Qov:
> meH 'el ghutar, HobtaHvIS. DeghwI' yaH chIm leghDI' HoDDaq tlhe'.[40]
> ---
> [40] Is the locative -Daq okay here? I usually don't use it like
> this, but it doesn't have to be read as "turned to the captain."
> Pretty much any locative sense works: turned towards/at/to/in the
> direction of, so I think it's okay.

{tlhe'} "turn" has never been used in canon so we don't even know if it's transitive or intransitive.  But WRT {-Daq} and "toward" we do have:

TKD 27f:  There are a few verbs whose meanings include locative notions, such as {ghoS} "approach, proceed". The locative suffix need not be used on nouns which are the objects of such verbs:
  {Duj ghoStaH}    It is approaching the ship.
  {yuQ wIghoStaH}  We are proceeding toward the planet.
If the locative suffix is used with such verbs, the resulting sentence is somewhat redundant, but not out-and-out wrong:
  {DujDaq ghoStaH} It is approaching toward the ship.

HQ 10.2:8:  When used with nouns with the locative suffix {-Daq}, the finger verbs mean "point (with a specific finger) at or towards" ... For example, while {ghIchwIj vISIq} means "I touch my nose with my index finger" and {ghIchwIjDaq jISIq} means "I point at my nose with my index finger" ...

You may even need to say *{tlhe''egh} or *{tlhe''eghmoH} "turn (oneself)".  IIRC we've never seen {-egh} used with a verb of motion, though this comes close to the idea of "turn oneself":

st.k 7/99:  Though not common, it is also possible to use {tatlh} ["return (something)"] with the reflexive suffix {-'egh} ("do something to oneself") to convey a meaning similar to that of {chegh} ["return to a place"]:
  {pa'Daq jItatlh'egh}  "I return to the room" [...]
The {tatlh'egh} form seems to suggest that the doer of the action is forcing himself/herself to do something, perhaps because it is difficult or not desirable.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons