tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 04 13:38:27 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - First Words

Qov ([email protected])

At 13:05 04/11/2011, you wrote:
Good morning - maj po
Good afternoon - maj pov
Good evening - maj choS

I take these ones and say, imagine you were interpreting for a Klingon and someone came up and said, "Good morning." You can't tell your client. "mu'mey ram jatlh". She wants to know what was said. So you put together an expression of praise with a time of day. Now they understand the topic of the meaninglessness.

please - qatlhobneS
Thank you - qatlho'
Thank you very much - qatlho'qu'

They're just lacking the cultural context, as I'm sure they are in a number of other languages avaialble on this system. Rather than being frustrated that Klingon isn't properly represented, I'm thrilled that Klingon is being given the same cavalier treatment as dozens of other world languages.

Sorry - jIQoS
Hello - nuqneH
Good-bye - DaH jImej

I wouldn't call it so much a new phrase for good bye as an answer to the demand that Klingons must say SOMETHING before they leave. A character in my story is getting frustrated that his Klingon girlfriend never says anything and she's just gone. "mejtaHvIS mu'mey 'oghlaHbe''a'?"

ladies' toilet - be' puchpa'
gents' toilet - loD puchpa'

The English makes me laugh.

aspirin - nuch Hergh

This was probably my biggest laugh on the whole disk. I was clicking on it with wrinkled nose, not even wanting such a word. nuch Hergh vIlo' net tuch. mureghmoHlaHmo' HochHom 'oy' botbogh Herghmey, jIwuQtaHvIS 'oy' vISIQ. pegh vI'ang: qaStaHvIS lutwIj, wuQDI' nuvwI', ghaytan vIqontaHvIS jIwuQ.

passport - leng chaw'
credit card - Huch chaw'

I like all these chaw'mey.

keys - ngaQHa'moHwI'mey

I'd often wondered if they were ngaQmoHwI'mey or ngaQHa'moHwI'mey. mebpa'meyDaq ngaQ'eghmoHmo' lojmItmey ngaQHa'moHwI'mey bIHba', 'ach wa'logh qeppa' lojmIt wIngaQmoH ngaQmoHwI' wInej.

bicycle - qam Do Duj

Favourite new word from the whole disk. Because I ride a bicycle more often than a puH Duj, because it's a simple translation of velocipede, and because it doesn't confirm or deny whether Klingons have bicycles. I'd think if you can build a warp drive you can build such an astonishingly efficient energy conversion device, but perhaps they never had good enough roads to trigger the invention.

car - puH Duj

Long overdue as a daily life item.

airplane - muD Duj

I cheered out loud! Of course it's the obvious name and of course I've been calling it that forever and ever, but it's nice to have it enshrined in canon.

train - lupwI' mIr

Do we have canon showing mIr to also be forged metal links?

ship - bIQ Duj

Obvious and appreciated.

shower - bIQ ghaywI' pa'

Of all the fluid mechanics terms we could have received, this is a bit of a disappointment because the meaning is quite close to vo' and ghomHa'. I would have preferred something like flow or pressure.