tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 26 11:43:47 2011

Re: Translation Assistance

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv ([email protected])

Aside from "Note that the terms I'm coining here are in now way canon translations" making it clear just how much this has not been proofread, it irks me that someone anonomously writes to a public forum things like:
? when I worked on?
? I made a list?
? terms that I had to come up with?
? I think this might come useful?
? terms I'm coining here?
? which I kept ?
? I didn't invent?
? I will give?
? I am getting the idea?
? if you can inform me?

How does this person expect anybody to "inform me" when there's no contact info or identification of any kind for the person who wrote this? Surely, the concept of deixis is lost on this individual. Or perhaps the person did identify him/herself and it got scrubbed when someone else edited it? If that's the case, then the editor deserves public humiliation.

pItlh.
lojmIt tI'wI' nuv

On Jul 26, 2011, at 2:10 PM, qurgh lungqIj wrote:

> This might be a good starting point:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:N-true/List_of_Klingon_computer_terms
>
> I've used this list before as a reference when translating computer terms.
>
> qurgh
>
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Robyn Stewart <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I think there should be a project to standardize metaphors and
>> language for computer systems in Klingon. While I know it would
>> facilitate terrible Klingon translations by people who got a hold of
>> the list without knowing anything about the language it wouldn't make
>> such translations any worse or any less common than they would
>> otherwise be and it would give us a ghost of a chance of understanding them.
>>
>> More importantly it would facilitate the task of making GOOD
>> translations, and not make me just ignore such projects, as too much
>> work for a mediocre result.
>>
>> At 08:26 26/07/2011, you wrote:
>>> naHQun/Michael Roney, Jr. PKT:
>>> Like "filter".
>>>
>>> I've used the verb {buv} "classify" for "sort, filter, catalog,
>>> file" in the past.  My notes show that *{buvHa'} was used by someone
>>> on the List for "misfile" and someone else used {veQ QIn buvwI'} for
>>> "junk mail filter".

>>> I've seen *{rarwI'} used for "connection, link" here on the List.

>>> For "mailbox" how about *{QInghom}?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Voragh
>>> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons