tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 22 10:44:51 2011

RE: Context

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

Perhaps I've lost track of who exactly said what, or who was
responding to whom but:

Dayajchu' - you understand it completely
Dayajbe'chu' - you don't understand it at all
Dayajchu'be' - you don't have a perfect understanding of it

This last matches what Voragh intended it to mean.

>I was going for "You don't understand the situation clearly" or "You don't
>quite understand the situation" (i.e. there are one or two fine points that
>you've missed).

I know SuStel knows that. I hope the below were the contentious
sentences, whose author I have lost track of:

> > >  ghu'maj Dayajbe'law', Sa'
> > >  "You don't seem to grasp our situation, General."

Correct.

> > > which could be modified:
> > >
> > >   ghu' Dayajchu'be'
> > >   You clearly don't understand the context.

And *here* is where "clearly" is misapplied in the translation. "You
clearly don't understand the situation" (whether that would be
interpreted as 'context' or not is another question) should be
rendered as ghu' Dayajbe'ba'.

I hope that is what everyone was saying all along, or that whoever
said otherwise briefly misread a suffix or suffix ordering.

ghu' vIyajchu'be' net tu' 'a pab vIyaj.

- Qov

Back to archive top level