tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 22 06:57:29 2011

Re: Context

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv ([email protected])

Actually, I'd interpret your last sentence to mean "You imperfectly understand the situation." For "You clearly do not understand the context," I'd have expected {ghu' Dayajbe'chu'} or {gnu' Dayajbe'ba'}.

pItlh.
lojmIt tI'wI' nuv

On Jul 22, 2011, at 9:09 AM, Steven Boozer wrote:

> lojmit tI'wI'nuv:
>> Given how often Okrand has explained that aspects of the language requires
>> context to comprehend detail, it is ironic that he has not given us a word for
>> "context".
>
> Nor words for "surroundings", "environment" or "topic" for that matter.  The closest equivalent I can think of is {ghu'} "situation" or {wanI'} "phenomenon, event, occurrence".  There's a line by Azetbur in the ST6 novel:
>
>  ghu'maj Dayajbe'law', Sa'
>  "You don't seem to grasp our situation, General."
>
> which could be modified:
>
>   ghu' Dayajchu'be'
>   You clearly don't understand the context.
>

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level