tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 22 09:19:09 2011

RE: Context

The translation "clearly" is confusing the meaning. You're using it as if it
were {-ba'} or {-law'}. Use "completely" or "perfectly" to get the right
meaning, even if it doesn't sound colloquial. {-chu'} does not mean "it is
clear that, it is well-understood that."

ghu' Dayajbe'chu'
you completely do not understand the situation, you entirely fail to
understand the situation

I see no reason to express what you want with {-chu'}; there is no reason to
talk about utter failure to understand. It is enough to say {ghu' Dayajbe'}
"you don't understand the situation." Add {-ba'} if you want to make it
clear that the lack of understanding is obvious; add {-law'} if you want to
say that it *seems* like there is a lack of understanding. Only add {-chu'}
if you want to indicate an utter lack of comprehension (ghu' Dayajbe'chu'}
or a lack of perfect comprehension {ghu' Dayajchu'be').

This utterance is not an exact equivalent to saying, "you don't understand
the context." It *might* be used in the same circumstance, if the context
being discussed is, in fact, a particular situation.

I agree that this is just one of a long list of jargon words for which there
should be no surprise we have no word. I'm more surprised that we have as
many words describing linguistics concepts as we have.

SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/