tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 07 21:33:01 2011

Re: mu'tlheghvam yIlughmoH

lojmIt tI'wI'nuv ([email protected])

Replacing the question mark with a comma doesn't stop {nuq 'oH bomvam 'o'megh'e'} from being a question. qarbe'. You can't put any question words or interrogative constructions in the first sentence of a Sentence As Object construction with 'e' or net, unless the pronoun actually represents the question and not it's answer.

Okrand once said that he was not clear on exactly how {SIv} should be used, with a glimmer in his eye as he mused on the irony of wondering about the word {SIv}. I personally would find the following Question As Object constructions acceptable, though they are not canon:

chay' mu' <<SIv>> lo'lu' 'e' vISIv.

Sov 'Iv 'e' vISIv.

The verb {SIv} is special in this regard because it is not a verb of speech and it implies a continuous questioning without answering. So, I could see a question being the direct object of SIv, though I can't think of any other verb for which that makes sense.

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv

Sent from my iPod

On Jan 7, 2011, at 9:55 PM, Ruben Molina <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 4:09 PM, lojmIt tI'wI' nuv
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> It's probably a good time to stop using {'e'} with questions, okay? It really doesn't work. Trust me on this. You don't really mean, "We don't know that question yet." You mean "We don't know THE ANSWER TO that question yet." The pronoun {'e'} does not represent anything but the previous sentence -- the WHOLE previous sentence. It doesn't represent part of the previous sentence or the answer to the previous sentence. It represents the entire previous sentence, as stated.
>
> vaj {nuq 'oH bomvam 'o'megh'e', wej 'e' vIjanglaH.}, qar'a'.
>
> ruben

Back to archive top level