tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 07 13:58:56 2011

Re: mu'tlheghvam yIlughmoH

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv ([email protected])

Again, I'm confused. Sorry. You said:

>>> Actually, this wasn't the dreaded question-as-object (QAO).  That
>> would be (correcting my earlier mis-use of {van}):
>>>
>>> * wej chay' bomvam luvan 'e' vISov.
>>>   I don't know how they end this song yet.
>>>
>>> It's actually two separate sentences.
>>>
>>>  chay' bomvam luvan?         wej 'e' vISov.
>>>  How do they end this song?  I don't know that yet.
>>>
>>> And yes, I know it's a fine distinction - especially in speech - but
>> the pronoun {'e'} "that (previous topic)" can be used this way, just
>> like any other pronoun.  E.g.

I interpreted that to mean that you think that sometimes {'e'} is used within one sentence to refer to an earlier part of the same sentence because perhaps we didn't put a period there and the English translation makes it one sentence. I said that I thought you were creating a distinction where none exists because in all cases, whether there's a period there or not, or regardless of how it is translated in English, the original Klingon use of {'e'} always implies two sentences.

So, I was saying there is no distinction between something with {'e'} in the middle with no period vs. something that does have a period. In both cases, it is always really two separate sentences. I'm saying that you are creating a distinction that doesn't exist.

As what appears to be a counter-argument you show Okrand saying exactly what I'm saying. When you use {'e'}, the original Klingon grammar is ALWAYS two sentences. The first sentence is the sentence that {'e'} represents. The second sentence is the one containing {'e'}.

But you seem to think that you are saying the same thing as Okrand and I'm saying something different.

I don't get it. I'm confused.

pItlh.
lojmIt tI'wI' nuv

Back to archive top level