tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 07 08:46:16 2011

RE: mu'tlheghvam yIlughmoH

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Felix, bIlughchu'.  I should have read Okrand's explanation thoroughly:

  "Note that the voyage and the song cannot end themselves.
   Someone has to end them."  [HQ 12.2:8]

> Not sure why the lu- prefix isn't used here (neither for van nor
> ghang).  Do you think this is an exception or a mistake?

There are two more examples from the same article:

  leng [lu]ghangDI' SuvwI'pu' 'IQ chaH
  When the warriors end the voyage prematurely, they are sad. [HQ 12.2]

  bom [lu]ghangDI' SuvwI'pu' tlhutlh chaH
  When the warriors end the song prematurely, they drink. [HQ 12.2]

Okrand has done this before,

  Ha'DIbaHmey meQ Sop 'e' tIv tera'nganpu'
  Terrans enjoy eating burnt animals.  CK
  [sic! for {'e' lutIv tera'nganpu'}]

And many people have wondered why {lu-} is routinely left off of {tu'lu'} "there are" when the meaning is plural:

  At qep'a' loSDIch "Robyn Stewart's idea of {lutu'lu'} as "the
  Klingon version of 'whom'" got a nod and an explicit lack of
  contradiction [from Okrand]. {naDev tlhInganpu' lutu'lu'} is
  grammatical, but the {lu-} is more often left off. [ghunchu'wI']

  {lutu'lu'} does NOT translate as "whom' in any way at all. It
  is just that in English, most people use the word "who" when
  formally they should be using "whom", much like most Klingons
  use the word {tu'lu'} when they should be using {lutu'lu'}.
  In other words, the more formally correct sentence is
  {tlhInganpu' lutu'lu'} though most Klingons most of the time
  would say {tlhInganpu' tu'lu'}.  [charghwI']

Okrand eventually addressed this in KGT:

KGT 172:  Except in formal situations, however, the omission of {lu-} in such cases is overlooked. Though technically an error, and jarring to many Klingons' ears, it causes no confusion as to the intended meaning of the sentence. It is important to note that this does not mean that the use of {lu-} is optional; it is left off only under specific conditions.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level