tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 20 11:32:50 2010

RE: <tlhIngan maH> geocache

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

It is indeed the case that the upper-case symbols are KLi pIqaD, and the lower-case ones  primarily Skybox pIqaD and Mandel Klinzhai.  Some symbols look rather messy, as though they were created by rotating one symbol and gluing it onto another.
I believe this mapping is unique to this font, which pops up every now and then.  I don't know who created it or for what purpose.

You can see how the keys are mapped by referring to the image attached to my previous e-mail; the two Notepad windows contain the same text, except with different fonts.
...and as you say, some keys map to the same symbol, so I initially got some words like "hekted" and "Chanm".

//loghaD
From: [email protected] [[email protected]] on behalf of MorphemeAddict [[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 19:54
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: <tlhIngan maH> geocache

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Felix Malmenbeck <[email protected]> wrote:
> Okay, I get:
>
> Chang
> ....ship lost
> retrieve... beat humans
> device needed by emperor
>
> "device needed by empire", not "... emperor".

Working from this interpretation backward, I get a nearly one-to-one mapping
of this pseudo-pIqaD to English. However, the 'm' is the same as 'g', and
the 'n' is the same as 'h'.
The first word, "Chang" above, is odd. The first letter is KLI pIqaD 'ch',
not the 'c' used in the rest of the message, but it's followed by 'h', which
is also 'n'. I.e., the first word can be transliterated as "ch h/n a h/n
g/m" and interpreted as "Chang".
The 'S' in "Search" is the KLI pIqaD 'S', not the 's' used in the rest of
the message.
The digits in the last line are from the Klinzhai symbols (per Wikipedia).
All of the symbols except 'Ch' in "Chang", 'S' in "Search", and "Smt" in the
last line are from the 10-symbol Skybox symbol set with rotated, reflected,
and slightly altered variants. Only the 'c' is totally new to me, i.e., it's
not in any of the symbol sets that I'm aware of.
It's possible that case is relevant here, using KLI pIqaD for uppercase when
appropriate.
Is this mapping used anywhere else?

lay'tel SIvten

> 17SMT0037100759

> I have no idea what to do with that code, however.  It could be wrong; the
> KlingonTNG font doesn't have a one-to-one correspondence between unicode
> symbols and Klingon ones, but I think that's the only one that works.
>
> //loghaD

Back to archive top level