tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 27 10:34:54 2010

Our daily bread (was RE: Letter from Maltz)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Quvar/Lieven Litaer wrote:
> As I promised, here is the complete letter from Marc Okrand of November
> 15th, 2010. Read it carefully, there is one more small but important

Thanks Quvar!

> word which I have been *hiding*. ;-)
>
>        [....]       A {ngogh} is a "block" or "lump" or "brick."  He
>   said he's seen humans eating {yuch ngoghmey} and found that strange.
>   I'm not sure what form he'd prefer his {yuch} to be.  While thinking
>   about food, he added that the word for "bread" is {tIr ngogh}.

Now we can retire *{tIrSoj}, used by the KBTP and others.

"This word [*tIr Soj] was used at the qepHom, I don't know who, but it was some German who came up with this description.  But *{tIr Soj} could also be corn flakes, or Weizenbier.  It's not the word for bread either." (Quvar, [date?])

"At a qep'a' a few years ago, we asked Marc Okrand about this, and he said that {chab} would work for this.  The word means any baked bread or crust sort of food.  So, doughnuts are chab, turnovers are chab, and pizza is chab.  Mince pie would be chab.  Bagels are chab.  [.] chab doesn't equal bread."  [SuStel, (date?)]

Cf. {jInjoq} "type of bread" (KRAD; first mentioned in Keith R.A. DeCandido's _A Time For War, A Time For Peace_).

See also {tIr} "grain", {loSpev} "quadrotriticale" and {chab} "pie, tart, dumpling".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level