tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 22 04:53:50 2010

Re: monastery

Krenath ([email protected])

The entire tlhIngan language seems to have been designed from the ground up to break as many 'rules' as possible, from the collection of sounds in the language to the intentional lack of a word for "hello" to the word order, and even the available color words, it seems like Marc Okrand has continuously been trying to reinforce that Klingons are aliens and do not do things the same way as Humans.

Add to that the fact that the words attributed to Marc Okrand say both that "The word for "monastery" is {ghIn}" and that {ghIn} is "...is a pretty general term for a religious community".

It is therefore far easier for me to believe that Marc Okrand intended the word {ghIn} to have both similar and differing connotations to "monastery" than it is for me to believe that he intended the word to be used precisely the same as Humans use the word "monastery" or that our patron linguist used the word "community" wrong.

On Dec 22, 2010, at 5:24 AM, Andrà MÃller <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dear Lieven,
> The sentence is indeed ambiguous. It can have both meanings, but I tend to
> believe Okrand had the first in mind, refering to the building and its
> inhabitants. Would he have intended the second reading, I think he'd phrase
> it differently.
> I'm not a native speaker of English, but isn't it possible to say, like,
> "The whole monastery was shocked and frightened about the new monk's deed."
> (or something). I understand the Klingon word as referring to the building
> ("The monastery was found in 1673.") and to the people in it, as my example
> sentence above.
>
> But it's true: wie can't know for sure.
>
> Greetings,
> - AndrÃ
>
> 2010/12/22 Lieven Litaer <[email protected]>
>
>> Perhaps my english is so bad that I do not understand this corectly:
>>
>> Marc Okrand:
>>> The word for monastery is {ghIn}. This is a pretty general term for a
>>> religious community
>>
>> naHQun:
>>> But the second one seems to say "ghIn=general term for a relgious
>>> comunity".
>>
>> My question to you english speakers:
>> what does this phrase mean literally?
>> "This is a general term for a community."
>>
>> Does it mean "The word is THE WORD FOR <<community>>" or does it mean "This
>> is a general term WHICH IS USED BY a community"?
>>
>> Look again to the above phrase by MO: he first uses the expression "the
>> word for... is". Then he says "it's a term for".
>>
>> By the way, "Christmas" is a also a term for a religious community, isn't
>> it?
>>
>> Quvar.
>> --
>> Neu: GMX De-Mail - Einfach wie E-Mail, sicher wie ein Brief!
>> Jetzt De-Mail-Adresse reservieren: http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/demail

Back to archive top level