tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 21 14:06:13 2010

Re: monastery

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv ([email protected])

Listen to yourself. "I feel that Okrand was trying to suggest..." Let's just ask the man, okay? Everything else is presumption.

He should speak directly, like a Klingon. We shouldn't need a spiritual medium to interpret his intent. We're not a New Age commune. We seek to speak the warrior's tongue. I don't think it is asking too much for a clear definition for a word.

We can say whatever we like in terms of what each of us personally WANTS the word to mean, but that doesn't tell us what Okrand defines the word to be. If he gives us a definition that is so vague and broken that we can't agree on whether we are talking about people or buildings, then he should want to speak to us more clearly about his intent instead of having us argue for weeks about it with no authority to declare the actual meaning of the word.

All I want is for him to have the opportunity to be clear. This is a language, after all. It's not a debate contest. I wish we were less concerned about who wins the argument about what a word means than we are about how to speak clearly so that all who know the language can understand us.

There is only one authority on this language. Let him speak.

pItlh.
lojmIt tI'wI' nuv

On Dec 21, 2010, at 2:08 PM, qurgh lungqIj wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Seruq <[email protected]> wrote:
> I see ghIn as a vague mixture of the people, and the building in which they
>> live/gather, with ...
>> wait for it ... our popular word ... CONTEXT clarifying which is being
>> referred to.
>>

> A building is only a monastery if there is a group of people performing
> monastic activity in it (or people have performed monastic activity there
> for so long the label has become permanent).
>
> I feel that Okrand was trying to suggest that anywhere can be ghIn, as long
> as there is a "religious" community residing there. ghIn'a' would be ghIn
> that have been around for so long that even if there is no one there it's
> still known for being ghIn. ghInHom could therefore be a ghIn formed in the
> backyard shed by a small group of people, possibly for the purpose of one
> day becoming ghIn.
>
> At least that's how I interpret his words.
>
> I put "religious" in quotes because I think the term is very broad for
> Klingons. Everything from worshiping deities to eastern martial arts
> training would be considered religious to them.
>
> qurgh

Back to archive top level