tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 21 11:12:41 2010

Re: monastery

qurgh lungqIj ([email protected])

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Seruq <[email protected]> wrote:
I see ghIn as a vague mixture of the people, and the building in which they
> live/gather, with ...
> wait for it ... our popular word ... CONTEXT clarifying which is being
> referred to.

A building is only a monastery if there is a group of people performing
monastic activity in it (or people have performed monastic activity there
for so long the label has become permanent).

I feel that Okrand was trying to suggest that anywhere can be ghIn, as long
as there is a "religious" community residing there. ghIn'a' would be ghIn
that have been around for so long that even if there is no one there it's
still known for being ghIn. ghInHom could therefore be a ghIn formed in the
backyard shed by a small group of people, possibly for the purpose of one
day becoming ghIn.

At least that's how I interpret his words.

I put "religious" in quotes because I think the term is very broad for
Klingons. Everything from worshiping deities to eastern martial arts
training would be considered religious to them.

qurgh

Back to archive top level