tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 21 11:55:48 2010

RE: monastery

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Seruq:
>> I see ghIn as a vague mixture of the people, and the building in which
>> they live/gather, with ... wait for it ... our popular word ... CONTEXT
>> clarifying which is being referred to.

qurgh:
> A building is only a monastery if there is a group of people performing
> monastic activity in it (or people have performed monastic activity
> there for so long the label has become permanent).

Such as an abandoned or confiscated monastery (think Henry VIII).

OTOH deserted monasteries can often be recognized archaeologically even in the absence of local tradition.  Many scholars see Qumran as a sort of Essene proto-monastery based on the layout of the remains and comments by Josephus, even though Judaism has no monastic tradition.

> I feel that Okrand was trying to suggest that anywhere can be ghIn, as
> long as there is a "religious" community residing there. ghIn'a' would
> be ghIn that have been around for so long that even if there is no one
> there it's still known for being ghIn.

Cluny, the Vatican, Angkor Wat, the Potala Palace, etc.?

>                                        ghInHom could therefore be a ghIn
> formed in the backyard shed by a small group of people, possibly for the
> purpose of one day becoming ghIn.

An ashram, commune or maybe even a *shtiebel*?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level