tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 26 13:27:50 2008

Re: Klingon phonology in regular expressions

Doq ([email protected])

Just to be clear:

I'm not trying to solve the problem with a hand wave. I'm honestly
wondering if a Morskan might not say {ha'DIbahoy}. Things elide in
other languages that pronounce a consonant differently at the
beginning or ending of a syllable. The Morscan dialect might have more
in common with that kind of linguistic mindset than that of ta' Hol,
which does not pronounce consonants differently at the beginning of
syllables than at the end.

It seems that we have an incomplete description of how the Morscan
dialect is pronounced.

Doq

On Mar 25, 2008, at 3:34 PM, David Trimboli wrote:

> Doq wrote:
>> We spell according to pronunciation, not meaning.
>>
>> In other words, are you sure that a final H followed by {-oy} would
>> be
>> pronounced like a final H?
>>
>> We know that {-oy} is weird in ta' Hol. Might it also be weird in
>> Morskan in ways we haven't yet imagined?
>
> I'm only interested in reproducing what's in the book, and that
> doesn't
> give any special case for -oy. I'd rather work out the logic than
> hand-wave the problem away.
>
> I'd rather end up with {ha' DI ba oy} instead of {ha' DI ba hoy}.
>
> --
> SuStel
> Stardate 8232.3

Back to archive top level