tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 25 15:29:19 2008

Re: Klingon phonology in regular expressions

On Mar 25, 2008, at 1:37 PM, Doq wrote:

> Maybe we are asking the wrong question. Yes, we know that {-oy} is a
> special suffix that can confuse meaning in words like {jIloy}, which
> can be either mean "dear neighbor" or "I guess".
>
> Meanwhile, these two very different words (a prefixed verb or a
> suffixed noun) are pronounced identically, and the dialect affects
> pronunciation, not meaning.

jIQoch.  pIm mu'meyvam QIch, vIjatlhDI' jIH.

When I speak them, the {l} sounds in these two words are not the
same.  {jI-loy} has a "clear l" as in "light", and {jIl-oy} has a
"dark l" as in "tile".

Back to archive top level