tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 25 10:38:39 2008

Re: Klingon phonology in regular expressions

Doq ([email protected])

I'm going to take a wild guess here.

Maybe we are asking the wrong question. Yes, we know that {-oy} is a
special suffix that can confuse meaning in words like {jIloy}, which
can be either mean "dear neighbor" or "I guess".

Meanwhile, these two very different words (a prefixed verb or a
suffixed noun) are pronounced identically, and the dialect affects
pronunciation, not meaning.

We spell according to pronunciation, not meaning.

In other words, are you sure that a final H followed by {-oy} would be
pronounced like a final H?

We know that {-oy} is weird in ta' Hol. Might it also be weird in
Morskan in ways we haven't yet imagined?

Doq

On Mar 25, 2008, at 1:05 PM, David Trimboli wrote:

> I've managed to convert ta' Hol to Morskan successfully, with the
> exception of the suffix -oy. The key is that, except for words with -
> oy,
> any consonant followed by a vowel must be the start of a syllable. For
> anyone interested, here's how to do it with regular expression
> matches.
>

> First pass:
>
> 	match: 		H(?=a|e|I|o|u)
> 	replacement: 	h
>
> 	match: 		tlh(?=a|e|I|o|u)
> 	replacement:	ghl
>
> Second pass:
>
> 	match:		tlh
> 	replacement:	ts
>
> 	match:		H
> 	replacement:
>
> Third pass:
>
> 	match:		Q(?=a|e|I|o|u)
> 	replacement:	H
>
> I haven't figured out yet how to match final tlh or H followed by -oy
> without confusing the detection of initial tlh or H. Any suggestions
> on
> how to detect the -oy suffix instead of a word with oy in it?
>
> --
> SuStel
> Stardate 8232.0

Back to archive top level