tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 25 15:15:33 2008

Re: Klingon phonology in regular expressions

On Mar 25, 2008, at 1:05 PM, David Trimboli wrote:

> I haven't figured out yet how to match final tlh or H followed by -oy
> without confusing the detection of initial tlh or H. Any
> suggestions on
> how to detect the -oy suffix instead of a word with oy in it?

qItbe'.

You can get very close by matching  /VHoy/ (where V is any vowel),
but the existence of the verb {Hoy} gets in the way.  {qaHoy} is
ambiguous -- is the {H} at the end of the syllable {qaH} or the
beginning of the syllable {Hoy}?

We know that {-oy} following a vowel-final syllable is potentially
problematic in the standard dialect, and an extra consonant (perhaps
{'}) might get inserted.  I suspect that dropping {H} at the end of a
syllable which is followed by {-oy} would result in the same sort of
thing.  So my advice is not to worry about it, and just let your
other replacement rules do their thing.  I think {qahoy} is a
perfectly appropriate Morskan pronunciation for whichever meaning of
{qaHoy} is intended.

Back to archive top level