tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 25 09:38:06 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: nIHwI' (noun)

Doq ([email protected])

HuchDaj vInIHmeH mIpwI' vIHej.

You steal stuff when you rob people. You don't steal people (except in
kidnapping when the people are being treated like property) or rob
stuff. You can steal stuff without robbing anybody. Robbery implies a
degree of personal contact; stealing through physical intimidation or
incapacitation.

You might rob a store, but in fact, you are robbing a person at the
store. If you don't interact with people, it's not robbery. It's theft.

Even if you stretch things to include cases like someone who wakes up
to see their wallet missing from their bedside pants when they yell,
"I've been robbed!", note that THEY were robbed when their wallet was
STOLEN. Nobody robbed the wallet or stole the victim.

Highway robbery is the work of a thug, not a thief. Picking a pocket
is the work of a thief, not a thug.

Breaking and Entering is legally the same thing as Burglary, except
that B&E happens in the day time, while Burglary happens at night.
Both of these are stealing and not robbing.

And no, I'm neither a thief nor a thug. I've never robbed nor stolen,
though I've been stolen from and I've known thieves. I have not known
robbers nor been robbed.

Yet, of course. reH Qob tu'lu'.

Doq

On Mar 24, 2008, at 12:00 PM, Mark J. Reed wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Steven Boozer
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> This is of course the nomen agentis of the verb {nIH} "steal".
>>
>> Related verbs include {Hej} "rob" and {qor} "scavenge".
>
> Do we have any canonical help with the distinction between {nIH} and
> {Hej}?   The difference between the English glosses is pretty darn
> subtle, if not nonexistent, depending on context.
>
> --
> Mark J. Reed <[email protected]>

Back to archive top level