tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 25 08:23:31 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: nIHwI' (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > This is of course the nomen agentis of the verb {nIH} "steal".
> > Related verbs include {Hej} "rob" and {qor} "scavenge".

Mark J. Reed:
>Do we have any canonical help with the distinction between {nIH} and
>{Hej}?   The difference between the English glosses is pretty darn
>subtle, if not nonexistent, depending on context.

Our only example of {nIH} "steal" comes from a brief example on the Star
Trek Continuum: LKlingon Linguistic Studies page:

   DanIH
   You steal it. KLS

Note the English object "it".

AFAIK there are no examples of {Hej} "rob", though {HejwI'} "robber" was
mentioned in KGT in the section on the importance of correct enunciation
(p. 191):

    Hej ("rob") / HIj ("deliver, transport goods")

      {HejwI'} ("robber")
      {HIjwI'} ("delivery person")

Hmm... nice contrast:  a {HejwI'} takes things away from you, but a
{HIjwI'} brings things to you! <g>

lay'tel SIvten:
>I don't see any canon usage at all for either {nIH} or {Hej}, but the English
>difference between "steal" and "rob" mirrors the difference between {jatlh}
>and {ja'}.
>
>In "A robs B", A takes something from B, while in "A steals B", A takes B
>from someone.

I think this is a good rule-of-thumb to follow until we have more
examples.  This distinction (in English) is even illustrated by Okrand's
comment about the Hur'q:

   ... the Hur'q, a race of humanoids from the Gamma Quadrant who
   developed a reputation as ruthless invaders who would attack other
   societies primarily for the purpose of robbery, stealing whatever
   they could and destroying the rest.  [KGT 153]

i.e. {nugh luHej} they rob a "society" (i.e. people) vs. {vay' lunIH} they
steal "whatever" (i.e. things).

Jonathan Webley:
>Is {nIH} a pun on "nick"?

That's been suggested, but I don't know if Okrand has ever confirmed it.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level