tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 24 21:57:33 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: nIHwI' (noun)

In a message dated 3/24/2008 23:15:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Do we have any canonical help with the distinction between {nIH} and
> {Hej}?   The difference between the English glosses is pretty darn
> subtle, if not nonexistent, depending on context.

I don't see any canon usage at all for either {nIH} or {Hej}, but the English
difference between "steal" and "rob" mirrors the difference between {jatlh}
and {ja'}.
In "A robs B", A takes something from B, while in "A steals B", A takes B
from someone.

If {nIH} and {Hej} match English usage, then to say all three arguments (A
stole B from C) you can say, e.g., {C Hej A. B nIH}.
Or would it be better as {C Hej. B nIH A}  or {C Hej 'ej B nIH A}?

lay'tel SIvten   </HTML>

Back to archive top level