tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 05 00:53:54 2008

Re: Keith R.A. DeCandido's novels?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 07:59 PM Friday 2/1/2008, qa'vaj wrote:

>Thanks to both.  Are these tlhIngan-Hol translations of the words (and the
>words not already in TKD/KGT/KLI New Words) considered canon?

They are if Okrand invented/vetted them.  The problem is we don't know if
he's responsible for all of them or if DeCandido came up with a couple of
needed words after he had talked with Okrand.  I assume he approved most of
these, since DeCandido has reused many of them in his various novels so if
Okrand didn't see a particular word when it was first invented, he would
have seen it in a subsequent novel.  (This is, of course, in addition to
the usual problems of distortions/misspellings by the publisher/editors.)

I think it's safe to use them, as long as you remember where they come
from.  Besides, most of these seem to be cultural or environmental words -
plants, animals, rituals, place names, etc. - and are probably not that
useful for most of us.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons