tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 05 01:29:31 2008

Re: Klingon Empire: A Burning House

naHQun ([email protected])

>On Jan 30, 2008 2:45 PM, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
>> At 08:04 PM Tuesday 1/29/2008, naHQun wrote:
>
> >khest'n (Hestlh'ng) [sic].
> >
> >klin zha (tlhInja.)
>
> Nice to see Okrand appreciates *klingonaase*.  Was there any context to
> *khest'n*?  As in, say, "he cursed in almost forgotten dialect" <g>?

It was just used, DeCandido normally doesn't explain the Klingon words
within the text itself (however, this is not the case in Excelsior:
Forged in Fire, but that's for a later post and by a different author)

He used the traditional khest'n spelling. Everytime I see it used it
reminds me of {jay'} or the "F" word. In fact, I can't think of a
single instance where I've ever read that word somewhere I wouldn't
exchnage the "F" word. I compare it to {jay'} because you can add it
to any sentance and it becomes an explicative. It seems to have a very
flexable and wide range.

> >jInjoq. A type of bread. [First referenced in A time for war, a time for
> >peace.]
> >
> >loSpev
>
> Quadrotriticale!  Is it grown on Klingon farms?  Is {jInjoq} bread made
> from it?

It appears that Klingon do grow loSpev. MY theory is that DeCandio
found an existiing Klingon word for a grain and went with it. It's
also possible that the Klingons on SermanyuQ aquried the grain from
the Earthers and decieded that they like it too.

No mention is made of how jInjoq bread is made.

I finished the book today. Interesting, I recomend the whole series.
We visited a Klingon farming planet, and they ate whole dishes made
from tIr and naH along with the HaDI'baH. The Defense Force person
found it odd. They also had candied racht.

It was pointed out that most cultures go from horses to cars to planes
to space, but Klingons skiped over the car phase and went staright to
planes to space due to thier drive to avenge themselves from the
Hur'Iq invasion. Later, they went back and made powered ground
vehicles. The featured vehicle was a Vekak (apparently more well-to-do
families would have used an aircar).

We were also introduced to a "dry toast" (my term).

     Tabona held up a mug that appeared to be empty. In fact, there
were mugs throughout the table-much more battered than the ones Wol
was ued to on the Gorkon, though in better shape than the malformed
things she was forced to drink from in Krennla-all empty.
     "K'Zinn, daughter of Kasara, was my cousin. When we were younger,
a tornado came, one that was far stronger than our yIntagh of a
governor said it would be. The force field generator went out, and
K'Zinn immediately, without thought to herself, ran out of the house
to repair it. My cousin died that day, as winds carried her off and
straight into a tree. But beofre that, she fixed the generator. The
force field was activated, and the crops were saved. It was the day
before yobta' yupma', just as it is today, and if the force field
hadn't protected the crops, our family would have had nothing-nothing
for yobta' yupma', nothing for the market, nothing for our market
buyers. We would have no food for the winter-no surplus crops to
store, no crops to sell to pay for food. That would have been the end
of us. We continue to live because she died. She cannot drink with us,
nor eat with us, so the first drink is empty to honor her!"
     Everyone raised their mugs and shouted, "K'Zinn!"
     After that, they all dry-sipped their mugs and threw them aside.
     "Now let us eat!" Tabona cried.
     She leaned over to Kagak. "I have never heard of that manner of
tribute before."
     "Really?" Kagak asked... "It is an old tradition--I thought
everyone did it."
     Wol shook her head. "In all my days, I never saw such a thing."
She smiled. "However, I do like it."

-=-

The only thing that disturbed me was the use of {QongDaqpu'}. Not the
type of bed I'd like to use. Other than that, the Klingon (tlhIngan
Hol, Klingonease, and anglicized tlhIngan Hol) was pretty
straightforward.

Did I miss any questions?
Any new ones?

I was on a trip when I read the bulk of the book, and didn't have any
note-keeping devices to record useds of mu' qaD-maybe next time.

~naHQun

http://www.myspace.com/naHQun
http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/purpleelaphants/
http://www.orkut.com/Profile.aspx?uid=17154199825822026505
http://www.twitter.com/roneyii

Modern playwrights have become obsessed with writing human
interpretations of alien theatrical works while ignoring completely
our own unique cultural heritage.~Bashir; "The Die is Cast" (DS9)

Back to archive top level