tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 05 03:15:48 2008

Re: Keith R.A. DeCandido's novels?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 06:30 PM Thursday 1/31/2008, naHQun wrote:

>Dahar Master Da'ar

Used in two novels.  Interestingly, without an /H/.

>Habnagh A type of stone indigenous to Qo'noS. Often used in the
>construction of statuary. First referenced in The Brave and the Bold,
>Book 2

"smoothstone"

>Mauk-to'Vor ma'to'vor  [A Good Day to Die]

DeCandido (and Okrand) hasn't quite settled on a spelling.  He used
{ma'Do'vor} in "Klingon Empire: A Burning House", {ma to'vor} in "Honor
Bound" and {ma' to'vor} in "Enemy Territory".

>adanji 'aDanjI'

IIRC an incense burned during the Mauk-to'Vor ritual.

>mevak dagger mevaq

 From my notes:

   {ma'veq}  *m'veQ* knife (ceremonial knife used in the ritual
             of Mauk to'Vor (DS9 "Sons of Mogh").

with this explanation from charghwI' (Feb. 1999):

   The word comes from a [.wav] recording of Okrand's pronunciation
   at an exhibit at 1998 Praxis.  The exhibitor was told by someone
   other than Okrand that it should be spelled *m'veQ*.

>meyvaQ  A sex aid. {based on context in the book, this would appear to
>be a "toy" and not a "drug"}

Hmmm... the same thing?  Kinky!

>QaS DevwI' Troop commander on a Defense Force vessel, generally in
>charge of several dozen soldiers. Roughly equivalent to a Sargent in
>the modern-day army. First used in The Brave and the Bold, Book 2

How is this different from a {bu'} "sergeant"?

KGT 53:  Among the troops ({QaS}), the highest-ranking are given the title
{bu'}, traditionally translated as "sergeant", while the next highest have
the title {Da'} ("corporal").

>Sto-Vo-Kor Suto'vo'qor

Again the spelling with {Sut...} instead of *{SIt...} used consistently.

>ngIS Lubricant used on disruptor canons

pun:  "grease"

>vIHbe' A paralyzing poison that leaves no trace. Word literally means
>"not move."

yobta' yupma'. A Klingon harvest festival. Literally translates
as "the we-have-completed-harvesting festival."  [Klingon Empire:
A Burning House]

Interesting use of verbs as nouns.  Cf. English expressions such as "a
no-go zone".

>nagh  The name of a waterfall on Qo'noS. The word literally means "stone."
>
>tIq  A river on the planet Qu'vat. The word literally means "long."

More of DeCandido's simple hyper-literal names.  We saw {taD} and {HuDyuQ}
in "Diplomatic Implausability".  I wonder if these may have originally been
military or explorers' nicknames - waiting perhaps for an "official" name
from the authorities on Kronos - that later "stuck" and became permanent.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level