tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 04 18:53:03 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: laj (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Sunday, February 3, 2008.
>
>Klingon word:   laj
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     acceptance

Never used in canon.

>Homonyms:
>     laj (verb) - accept

Used in canon:

   to'baj 'uS lughoDlu'bogh tIlaj
   Accept these stuffed tobbaj legs! PK

   jIlajneS.  ghIj qet jaghmeyjaj.
   I accept. May your enemies run with fear. (TKW p.65; TNG "Sins of the
Father")

N.B. This is the traditional acceptance when asked to serve as someone's
{cha'DIch}.

   jIlajneS
   I'm honored to accept! (TNG "A Matter of Honor")

   beq may' ta vIlajpu'
   I have accepted the crew's record of battle. KGT

   ghopDu'wIjDaq yInmeyraj vIlaj
   I accept your lives into my hands. KGT

Note Worf's comment:

   "I have accepted discommendation." [TNG "Reunion"]

which *might* be a translation of a Klingon idiom ?{naDHa'ghach
vIlajpu'}.  Note that he did not say, "I have been discommended", "They
have discommended me", etc.

Related verbs:

{Hev} receive;  {tlhap} take;  {nge'} take away;  {yaH} be taken away

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level