tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 01 08:40:07 2008

Re: Keith R.A. DeCandido's novels?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

naHQun:
> >> Keith R. A. DeCandido's new novel came out today. It's the fourth
> >> installment in the IKS Gorkon series (however with a new name and
> >> expanded to include the entire Empire, not just one ship). Anyway, as
> >> usual, he has listed a glossary of Klingon terms in the back.

Voragh:
> > Have you posted the vocabulary from the glossaries in these novels?  <hint,
> > hint!>  Did Okrand and the KLI help him with these too.  (I'm guessing yes,
> > judging from your comments.)  I tried searching the KLI Archives, but the
> > interface wasn't working.

naHQun:
>At first I thought I had posted it. At least I had attended to. I'll
>take this opportunity to do so.
>
>According to the back of the first page in Klingon Empire: A Burning House:
>Other Star Trek stories featuring the Klingon Empire by Keith R. A. DeCandido:
>
>   ST: TNG: Diplomatic Implausibility
>   ST: The Brave and the Bold, Book 2
>   ST: The Lost Era: The Art of the Impossible
>   ST: I.K.S. Gorkon Book 1: A Good Day to Die
>   ST: I.K.S. Gorkon Book 2: Honor Bound
>   ST: TNG: A Time for War, A Time for Peace
>   ST: I.K.S. Gorkon Book 3: Enemy Territory
>   loDnI'pu' vavpu' je (In "ST: Tales from the Captain's Table")
>   ST: Articles of the Federation
>
>Anyway, onto the relevant words:
>    [....]
>That about sums up the information I have (although I could have sworn
>that one of those novels listed ALL of the Klingon Chancellors since
>Gorkon or something like that).

Many thanks for taking the time to post these!  I see that this is a hobby
we both enjoy.  I'll have to go through them in detail over the
weekend.  Comments and questions to follow...

> > The only other vocabulary and notes from De Candido's novels in my notes
> > are to his "Diplomatic Implausibility" (2001).
>
>I don't own Diplomatic Implausibility

To repay you for your work, here's all the vocabulary I have from
"Diplomatic Implausibility" (c2001):

bekk - "A rank given to enlisted personnel in the Defense Force."

bat'leth - "Curved, four-bladed, two-handed weapon. This is the most
popular handheld, edged weapon used by Klingon warriors, due to its being
favored by Kahless. The legendary Sword of Kahless was a bat'leth, and most
Defense Force warriors are proficient with it."

bregit lung - "Food made from the lung of an animal, presumably a bregit." (

boqrat  bokrat - "Food made from the liver of a bok-rat, apparently cooked
to some degree, making it unusual among Klingon foods."

*jeghpu'wI' "conquered people" - "more than slaves, less than citizens,
this status is given to occupants of worlds conquered by the Klingon Empire."

cha'DIch - "During a legal proceeding, the accused is denied combat, and so
must have a second, called a cha'DIch, to defend him or her."

chechtlhutlh chech'tluth - "An alcoholic beverage best served heated and
steaming. The word seems to derive from the verbs meaning 'to drink' and
'to get drunk'."

d'k tahg  - "Personal dagger. All Defense Force warriors carry their own
d'k tahg, which is personalized with their name and House."

gha'poq  grapok sauce - "Condiment, often used to bring out the flavor in
gagh or racht."

ghe'tor  Gre'thor - "The afterlife for the dishonored dead--the closest
Klingon equivalent to hell."

ghIlab ghew  glob fly - "Small, irritating insect with no sting, which
makes a slight buzzing sound."

ghISnar  grishnar cat - "Small animal, apparently not a very vicious one,
though with perhaps a predilection for trying to sound fiercer than it
actually is. [First referenced in "The Way of the Warrior" (DS9).]"

HuDyuQ - a mountainous Klingon planet: "The name derives from the words
meaning 'mountain' and 'planet'."  No further explanation of name given.

jatyIn  jat'yIn - "According to legend, spirits of the dead that possess
the living."

jeghpu'wI'  "conquered people" - "more than slaves, less than citizens,
this status is given to occupants of worlds conquered by the Klingon Empire."

lIngta'  lingta - "Large game animal indigenous to Qo'noS."

ma' to'vor  Mauk-to'Vor  - "A death ritual that allows one who has lost
honor to die well and go to Sto-Vo-Kor by being honorably killed by a
House-mate or someone equally close."

meqleH  mek'leth - "A sword-like one- or two-handed weapon about half the
size of a bat'leth."

mong'em  mong'em maneuver - "A parry where you thrust a sword or other
edged weapon behind your neck in order to block an attack from the rear."

parmaq  par'Mach - "Love, Klingon style--with much more intense
connotations than the English word."

petaQ - "Insult with no direct translation. Sometimes anglicized as 'pahtk'."

pIpyuS pach  pipius claw - "Food made from the claw of an animal."

qagh  gagh - "Food made from live serpent worms."

qamchIy  Qam-Chee - "According to legend, an ancient village on Qo'noS
where Kahless and Lukara fought a great battle, a major component of their
courtship."

Qang  Chancellor - "A new class of Defense Force ships, of which the IKS
Gorkon is one, is the Qang-class, and all are named after past chancellors
of the Empire (three of the others in the line are the IKS Gowron, the IKS
Azetbur, and the IKS K'mpec)"

Qapla' - "Ritual greeting that literally means success."

Qa'Da'  krada legs - "Food made from the extremities of a krada."

QI'yaH - "Interjection with no direct translation."

raHta'  racht - "Food made from live serpent worms (not to be confused with
gagh). [First seen in "Melora" (DS9).]"

ramjep  ramjep bird - "Avian life-form indigenous to Qo'noS that only comes
out in the dark."

ra'taj  raktajino - "Coffee, Klingon style."

ro'qegh  rokeg - "Food apparently made from or with the blood of an animal,
possibly a rokeg."

Rura Penthe - "Prison planet mostly covered in ice."

ruStay  - "Literally 'the bonding,' this is a ritual that allows an orphan
to join another House."

Suto'vo'qor  Sto-Vo-Kor - "The afterlife for the honored dead, where all
true warriors go after they die to fight an eternal battle. The closest
Klingon equivalent to heaven."

taD - ice-covered Klingon colony planet in the Korvad system; no further
explanation of name.  Rich deposits of topaline are found there.  Most of
the novel takes place either on or orbiting the planet; it's a cold, frozen
planet mostly inhospitable to Klingons.

targh  targ - "Animal that is popular as a pet, but the heart of which is
also considered a delicacy."

tay'ghoqor  Ty'Gokor - "A planet where the induction into the Order of the
Bat'leth takes place."

tIqleH  tik'leth - "An edged weapon, similar to an Earth longsword."

toDSaH  - "Insult with no direct translation."

tlhatlh  gladst - "Food made from brown leaves, best served without sauce."

tlhImqaH  zilm'kach - "Food made from something orange."

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level