tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 30 15:27:42 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: ngIp (verb)

Sangqar ([email protected])

> I would have dodged the bullet here and asked more directly:
>
> chay' Dochvam vIrur?

This implies that such a resemblance actually exists, or at least has
the potential to exist. In general, I am unwilling to concede such a
point without some kind of rationale behind it.

> That assumes that I'm not insulted by the comparison. If I were
> insulted, I wouldn't speak. I'd act.
>
> In other words, I don't care what you think. I care about whether or
> not you have observed a similarity between myself and this thing you
> have compared me to. If I don't understand the comparison, I'll ask
> you to explain the comparison. If I do understand the comparison, and
> I don't like it, I won't bother asking you about the comparison. I'll
> just teach you to be more polite in the future, or I'll eliminate the
> potential for future insults, depending on how insulted I feel.

I try not to take insult without cause. I tend not to assume the other
person intended to insult me. So I actually do care-not necessarily
about *what* the other person thinks, but about *why* they think that.

Back to archive top level