tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 30 09:41:16 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: ngIp (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Sangqar:
> > But now I'm not sure. It seems to me there are three possibilities:
> >    qatlh SAO 'e' DaQub?
> >    SAO qatlh 'e' DaQub?
> >    SAO 'e' qatlh DaQub?
> > The first one seems the most natural, but I could make a case for the
> > second one, as well, since the first might be ambiguous. On the other
> > hand, if QAO is impossible, as most people on the list seem to agree,
> > the first could not be ambiguous. (The second sentence could still be
> > considered easier to parse, though.)

ghunchu'wI':
 > Your first option is obviously wrong, since it puts the question word
 > outside the sentence which is asking the question.  Your second
 > option follows the prescribed grammar.  Your final one follows the
 > example in Skybox card S26, {lurSa' be'etor je} "Lursa and B'Etor":

   DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS
   be'nI'pu' lurSa' be'etor je.
   The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor, are constantly
   seeking a higher standing for the House of Duras within the Klingon
   High Council.   [S26]

Doq:
>First, I wonder if it has not been established the {Qub} takes objects.

It has, at least the pronoun {'e'}:

   The correct way to say "Do you think that...?" is [...] {'e'
   DaQub'a'?} ({'e'} is "that", referring to something that precedes
   it in the sentence or in the discussion; {DaQub'a'} is "do you
   think it?").                         [startrek.klingon 12/12/96]

   All four words asked about [...] can be used in the construction
   {S 'e' V}, where S is a sentence, {'e'} is the pronoun ("that")
   which refers to a previous topic (in this case S), and V is one
   of the verbs listed above (as well as some others). If the sentence
   (S) is {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh} "you speak Klingon", it's OK to say
   [...] {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e' vIQub} "I think that you speak
   Klingon"                              [startrek.klingon 7/01/97]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level