tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 29 08:03:11 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: nech (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> >> Klingon word:   nech
> >> Part of Speech: verb
> >> Definition:     be lateral, move laterally

Voragh:
> > Can {nech} also cover "move side-to-side", "move horizontally",
> > "slide"?

ghunchu'wI':
>It obviously covers the first two; "laterally" *means* to or from the
>side.
>
>However, I don't see where "slide" fits here.  Most things that slide
>in my house move front-to-back, not side-to-side, and most things
>that I see sliding outside my house do it by moving diagonally downward.

Sangqar:
>nechbogh lojmIt ghajlaH pa', ngop ngaSwI', latlh Doch je. chaq lojmIt
>Seghvam pong 'oHlaH <lojmIt nech>.

That's the type of thing I was thinking of.  The only verb I could find WRT
slipping or sliding is {DIj}:

KGT 59:  To slide the blade of one's bat'leth along the blade of the
opponent's weapon is {DIj}.

KGT 81:  The word {DIj} [...] is used in the context of battling with
swords to refer to the sliding of one's blade along that of the opponent.

... which might also work for things like sliding one's knife out of its
sheath {vaH}, or sliding a knife suggestively along a prisoner's throat
during an interrogation.

What I was thinking was a motion which ghunchu'wI' himself mentioned in an
old post about the wing baffles {tel vID'Irmey} on the BoP
Poster:  "They're specifically the multiple interleaved 'plates' at the
hinged area which slide past one another as the wing changes orientation
between attack, cruise, and landing configuration."

Right now the only thing I can think of this early in the morning is the
general verb {vIH}:

KGT 112:  The verb {vIH} ("move, be in motion") can be applied to any sort
of motion.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons