tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 29 07:48:22 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: ngIp (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, April 29, 2008.
>
>Klingon word:   ngIp
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     borrow

Never used in canon.

Okrand discussing borrowing:

KGT 72:  It is possible that, at some time in the past, the numerals were
"borrowed" into the lexicon of music in order to sing the scale [...] It is
far more likely, however, that the borrowing went in the other direction"
(KGT 72)

KGT 205:  For example, one language may borrow (and, in the process,
phonetically modify) a word for a concept it lacks.

>Antonyms: noj

"lend"

Related verbs:

{nob} "give" vs. {nobHa'} "give back, return":

   Huch nobHa'bogh verenganpu''e' yIvoqQo'
   Don't trust Ferengi who give back money. TKW

Cf. also {tatlh} "return (s.th.)":

st.k 7/99:  A different verb, {tatlh}, is used for "return" in the sense of
returning a library book or returning a weapon to the weapons rack.  If
someone were to say something like "I return the plate to the table," the
appropriate verb would be {tatlh}:  {raSDaq jengva' vItatlh} "I return the
plate to the table."

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons