tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 29 08:46:09 2008

Re: Canonicity

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Jonathan Webley:
> > Level 0
> > Words, phrases or grammar that are not tlhIngan Hol. This class would
> > include klingonaase and words such as "gin'tak".

ghunchu'wI':
>KGT includes {ghIntaq} (n) "battle spear, /Gin'tak/" in the lexicon.

I think Jonathan is referring to *gin'tak*, an advisor so trusted he has
been made part of the family (he wears a special ring, bearing the crest of
the House he has pledged his life to defend).  Worf said "K'mtar is
*gin'tak* to the House of Mogh" in TNG "First Born"; the elderly Tumek may
have been *gin'tak* to the House of Kozak in DS9 "House of Quark".  This
hasn't yet been vetted by Okrand, but the writers may have been using the
imagery of the ceremonial {ghIntaq} battle spear in the same way as a
trusted advisor or associate could be called metaphorically "my trusty
sword" or "my right hand" in English.

*Gin'tak* is a good example of what could be called "potential"
canon:  words, generally referring to culturally important objects and
ceremonies, used in the TV episodes which have yet to be provided with an
official {tlhIngan Hol} spelling by Okrand - e.g. *bat'leth* {betleH} and
*d'k tahg* {Daqtagh}.  Another example of this process is {ghojmoq} "nurse,
nanny, governess" - Kahlest was young Worf's *ghojmok* on Khitomer (TNG
"Sins of the Father") - which was later included by Okrand in the TKD
Addendum.  (In fact, I've speculated that a  *gin'tak* may be the male
equivalent of a *ghojmok* in the Great Houses.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level