tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 21 08:46:18 2006

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for November 1

pm5 ([email protected])

On 11/17/06, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Okrand on {tlhob}:
>
>    What I wanted to do with {tlhob} and {ghel} is to distinguish
>    between two different meanings for the English verb "ask".
>    There are two ask's. There's the "ask" where you ask a question
>    and there's "ask" where you make a request. I wanted it to be
>    two different verbs, though apparently there are times when the
>    "request" verb is used to ask a question as well. So maybe the
>    way it works is that {ghel} can ask a question and only as a
>    question and the other one can mean that and is also used to
>    request or plead or something like that. (HolQeD 7:4)

I understand now.  BTW is this parallel to the two verbs {ja'} "say"
and {jatlh} "say, speak", in that {ja'} means to say or tell something
and only that, whereas {jatlh} can mean the same thing and can
also mean to speak a language?

pm5

> So the answer to your question is that both versions can be correct
> depending on what you want to say:
>
>    DaQaH 'e' lutlhob.
>    They ask that you help them. They ask you to help them.
>
>    <<DaQaH>> tlhob.
>    "Help them," they requested.  They ask, "Help them."
>
> As always, the right punctuation can be helpful.

But if using quotations isn't it "help us" that they should have said?

    {<juQaH> tlhob.} "Help us," they/it requested".

While I understand that collective noun should be singular in Klingon,
it still seems very weird for me if the marketing department was
saying {choQaH}.  I would rather choose the other version when the
subject is a group of people to avoid this problem.

pm5

Back to archive top level