tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 19 14:23:34 2006

Re: Cute/Adorable KLBC (again)

In a message dated 3/19/2006 12:26:53 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

>   To be a bit blunt, 2 new adverbs (not suffixes for heaven's sake, but if
> they were, they'd be rovers) would make the Klingon language *ALOT* more
> flexable. Infact, with this, one could dramatically cut down the vocabulary list
> of TKD dramatically.
>
>   Plus, i don't think anyone's gonna say "Their faces move me emotionally"
> or "their bodies make me want them" about some one's kids... I was told here
> once, that this language is so flexable you can use it to express almost any
> idea practically.  (Such as to use it for commercial airlines.) but... To me,
> it seems it's not as practical as it's made out to be. I wish that hopefully,
> it may become that practical, eventually. In every day american life, one
> must be specific. in Klingon, i find it quite hard to be specific about
> anything. Even colors...

I used to feel pretty much the same way, that Klingon was poor in resources
for expressing oneself.  I've changed my mind, though, after seeing how better
speakers than I are able to express themselves.  Not only do you have to know
the vocabulary and grammar *very* well, you have to play with the language a
lot to see what you can say with it, without resorting to English.  Practice is
essential, and it takes a lot of time and effort.
The chances that we'll get anything to make the language 'easier' is wishful
thinking at best.  The language is already easy.  Trying to use English as the
basis and standard for Klingon is what makes Klingon seem hard.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level