tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 27 07:30:30 2004

Re: klingon snow globe

naHQun wrote:

>The boss' wife walks into work today, hands me this black snow globe with
>a Bird-of-Prey inside, and decorative pIqaD on the front, pushes a button,
>which starts barking out sound effects and tlhIngan Hol, and
>says  "Translate it!".
>I need help.  The only words I could make out were {{-Daq}} and {{tlhIngan
>maH!}}  Everything else was unintelagble by me, or covered up by the sound
>effects (I also think she needs some new batteries).
>It has a copyright date of 1994 on the bottom.  Does anyone else have one
>of these and do you know what it says?

I've never seen one of those nifty Klingon "holodomes" (as it was called)
myself, but I understand that it's the untranslated battle scene at the
beginning of "Conversational Klingon".  The sound chip in the globe has the
same dialogue - with Marc Okrand saying about half the lines with other
actors mixed in - but with different background music.  charghwI' reported
that it was translated on an accompanying tag which your boss' wife must
not have.

It's not as bad as it seems, as all of these sentences appear in various
places in TKD.  Here's my transcription of the scene in CK:

   tujqu'choH QuQ.
   [The engine is overheating.]

   nughoS chaH.
   [They approach us. (or) They're closing in.]

   chay' jura'?
   [What are your orders?]

   Qu'vatlh!
   [@#$%!! (expletive)]

   batlh maHegh.
   [We die honorably.]

   cha yIghuS!
   [Stand by torpedoes!]

   So'wI' yIchu'Ha'!
   [Deactivate cloaking device!]

   baH!
   [Fire!]

   bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh.
   [Surrender or die.]

   tlhIngan maH!
   [We are Klingons!]

Let me know if this matches what they're saying on the "holodome".

Qapla'!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons