tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 27 09:05:14 2004

i18n tlhIngan Hol 'ej

christoph.pichlmann ([email protected])

(Note: it might be that some characters aren't displayed right - this
is a double quote " . This is less-than sign < and more-than > . I hope
the rest is displayed correct)

From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>

>has been to prep the site for i18n.

'e' jatlhlu'pu'mo', DaH naDev 'oHvetlh vIghItlhlI':

"website"vaD Hol ngu'wI'mey yIlo', yIruch.

Hol ngu'wI' nunobta' "ISO", 'ach wIlo''a' ?
'oHbe'law'.
qatlh?

'oH ngeD:

Hol ngu'wI' lo'laH HochHom "HTML" ra'wI'. ngu'wI'Daj  ghaj tlhIngan
Hol. "tlh" 'oH. latlh(x-klingon) 'oH qa'meH.
"ISO 639-2"Daq Del 'oH.

Sa'agh:

naQchugh "page", yIlo' .<HTML lang="tlh">.

'aychugh "page", yIlo' .<span lang="tlh"> vay' </span>.

ngoQ 'oH: tlhIngan Hol ghov "HTML" mughwI'Hom.

--

IM(Intended Meaning):

Since someone mentioned it, I write this here:

Use Language identifiers on your website.

The "ISO" gave us a language identifier, but do we use it?

Apparently not.

Why?

It's simple:

Almost every HTML command uses the language identifier. Klingon has
it's own language identifier. It is "tlh". It is a replacement for the
other one(x-klingon).

It is described in "ISO 639-2".

If the page is entire, use .<HTML lang="tlh">.

If it's a part of a page, use .<span lang="tlh"> vay' </span>.

The goal: HTML interpreter(minor translator) can recognize Klingon.

--

More detailed(and fluid) version:

Use language identifiers for your klingon websites!
The ISO gave us the "tlh" identifer for Klingon, so we should use it.
Almost every HTML tag can use the "lang" attribute, which defines the
enclosed language. Entire sites in Klingon can be marked by using the
"lang" attribute of the HTML tag(see examples above), text fragments
can be marked with the SPAN tag.

Why we should do that: To enable browsers and other user agents to
recognize Klingon. As of now, that's not really an issue - but how
should it ever be one if no one makes use of it?
Think about it - a search engine could, in theory, search entire texts
for klingon words by skipping non-klingon text and only looking at text
marked as klingon.
Or only sites IN klingon.
Text to speech programs could(sometime) switch to a different
pronounciation.

Most important of all - it'll make klingon look more credible if
klingon pages are properly(!) marked as such.
It'll show the world that there ARE people using this LANGUAGE, not
just a few lumps of it to prove they're trekkies or trekkers.

For the same reason - why isn't there a TLH top level domain? There are
dozens of TLDs that don't have any country assigned - so why not one
for a language without country?

Christoph

Back to archive top level