tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 08 17:28:03 2004

Re: other person imperatives

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, David Trimboli wrote:

> Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 16:19:45 -0500
> From: David Trimboli <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: other person imperatives
>
> From: <[email protected]>
>
> > Anyway, as I said before, the third-person imperative in Finnish is
> associated quite strongly
> > quite strongly in my mind with {-jaj}.  While I wouldn't necessarily
> translate any {-jaj} phrase
> > into thrid-person imperative, I would definitely translate any
> third-person imperative (in a
> > Finnish source text) as a {-jaj} phrase.
>
> In Klingon, these sorts of things would frequently be expressed by a simple
> statement.
>
> Ha'!  DaH matlhutlh!
> Let us go get a drink.  (Power Klingon)
>
> In the case of wishes and hopes, those Finnish third-person imperatives
> would make sense translated with {-jaj}, but as laws or statements of what
> must be, simple statements will do.  Imagine a lawbook that says:
>
> tlhIngan naDHa'lu'ta'bogh ghImlu'.
> A discommended Klingon will be exiled.

I was just about to say the same, so I'll just clarify what I think you're
pointing out -- the suffix /-lu'/ works well in this "third person
imperative", perhaps with the addition of /-nIS/ to indicate a bit more of
an imperative nature.  Such as:

may' law' QapnISlu' --> "One must win many battles."

I think that covers the 'third person imperative' idea that was being
described?

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
              "I love it when a plan comes together."

Back to archive top level