tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 08 16:30:03 2004

Re: other person imperatives

From: <[email protected]>

> Anyway, as I said before, the third-person imperative in Finnish is
associated quite strongly
> quite strongly in my mind with {-jaj}.  While I wouldn't necessarily
translate any {-jaj} phrase
> into thrid-person imperative, I would definitely translate any
third-person imperative (in a
> Finnish source text) as a {-jaj} phrase.

In Klingon, these sorts of things would frequently be expressed by a simple
statement.

Ha'!  DaH matlhutlh!
Let us go get a drink.  (Power Klingon)

In the case of wishes and hopes, those Finnish third-person imperatives
would make sense translated with {-jaj}, but as laws or statements of what
must be, simple statements will do.  Imagine a lawbook that says:

tlhIngan naDHa'lu'ta'bogh ghImlu'.
A discommended Klingon will be exiled.

SuStel
Stardate 4106.4