tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 03 03:06:25 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: some with A

Lieven L. Litaer (Quvar) ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Hello.
I have some more questions about a few words. No specific reason for their choise, just alphabetical
and ambiguous - net Sov- or difficult to translate. German helpers would be welcome, since I'm not a
native german speaker.

-accommodate v. ma'.
too many different meanings ...

-accumulate v. vI'.
intransitive: (sich) anhäufen
transitive: anlagern, ansammeln

-advance v. Duv.
vorrücken, vorwärtsbringen, vordringen
i.e. move in a specific direction
   The other way of advance is "progress" {tetlh}, right?

-agency s. tum.
What kind of agency? CIA? Ticket agency?
Or maybe something else?

-assess v. (evaluate) chov.
Does that mean "control, analyze"?
For "assess", Websters' gave me four definitions, I think it must be number 4:

1 : to determine the rate or amount of (as a tax, charge, or fine) *assess damages after an accident*
2 a : to determine the amount of and impose (as a tax, charge, or fine) according to an established rate
or apportionment *the tax to be assessed upon all retail sales*  b : to subject to a tax, charge, or levy
so determined *each member will be assessed $25*
3 : to make an official valuation or estimate of (property) especially for the purposes of taxation
4 : to analyze critically and judge definitively the nature, significance, status, or merit of : determine
the importance, size, or value of *assess men as leaders* *properly assessing the financial needs of
individual students? J.B.Conant*

Thanks for your help!

Quvar.

Back to archive top level