tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 02 13:54:13 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: get in & out

Quvar:
> > If {lel} "get out (take out)" is the opposite of {yong} "get in", then I
> > know what it means. If not, please help me.

ngabwI':
>AFAIK, {yong} has only been used once in canon:
>{yIyong} "Get in" (PK) (Said to a terran tourist in order to get her in a
>{lupwI'})

 From "Conversational Klingon" actually.  Here's the scene:

K: Sum Daqmeyvam, tera'ngan.
    These places are nearby, Terran.

T: pa' jIyIt'a'?
    Can I walk there?

K: ghobe', lupwI' DalIghnIS.  yIyong 'ej pa' yIQam!
    No, you must ride the jitney. Get in and stand there!

T: naDevvo' jIleghlaHchu'be'.
    I can't see well from here.

K: HoS lIngwI' wIjuS.  'IH, qar'a'?
    We're passing a power generator. It's beautiful, isn't it?

T: DaH vay' vIlarghlaH.  mu'aw' mInDu'wIj.  Daqvam nuq?
    Now I can smell something. My eyes sting [me]. What is this place?

K: pegh De'vetlh.
    That is classified information.

>In English, to "get in" means to enter something that is enclosed. You get
>in a car or a box, but you get on a motorcycle.

For that you can probably use lItHa' "get off (of)" KGT:

   jol SeHlaw lItHa'!
   Get off that transporter control panel! PK (clipped pet command)

So, assuming there's a verb *{lIt} "get on(to)" and using the "unofficial
slang" term for a motorcycle that Krankor mentioned in the current "HolQeD":

   qughwIjDaj lIt Qanqor 'ej choSDaq lIghpu'.
   Krankor got onto his motorcycle and rode off into the sunset ("twilight").

   qughwIj yIlItHa' jay'!
   Get the $#@& off my bike!

> > Quvar:
> > We also have {'el} in the sense of "get in"...
>
>It's glossed as "to enter":
>{HIq DaSammeH, tach yI'el} "To find ale, go into a bar." (TKW)

More examples:

   mIch 'elpu' jay'!
   They've entered the @#$% sector! TKD

   'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'.
   But Captain, that course will take us into the [Great] Barrier as well. ST5

   tach vI'el, HItlhej!
   Let's go to the pub. RT

> > Quvar:
> > Or should I {DujwIj vIyong}?
>
>Because of the context of the canon cited from PK above, I am certain this
>is the correct usage.

Agreed.  If you're getting into (onto) a ship or other kind of vessel
(aircraft?) we also have two special verbs:  {tIj} "board" and {ten} "embark".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level