tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 01 09:28:34 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: get in & out

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lieven L. Litaer (Quvar)" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 9:48 AM
Subject: DCKL translation problems: get in & out

> Quvar:
> If {lel} "get out (take out)" is the opposite of {yong} "get in", then I
know what it means. If not, please
> help me.

AFAIK, {yong} has only been used once in canon:
{yIyong} "Get in" (PK) (Said to a terran tourist in order to get her in a
{lupwI'})
In English, to "get in" means to enter something that is enclosed. You get
in a car or a box, but you get on a motorcycle.

> Quvar:
> We also have {'el} in the sense of "get in"...

It's glossed as "to enter":
{HIq DaSammeH, tach yI'el} "To find ale, go into a bar." (TKW)

> Quvar:
> {HIvje'wIjDaq gharghmey vIghaj. DaH wa' vIlel}
> "I have worms in my glass. Now I take one out."

{maj}

> Quvar:
> Now, can I {latlh HIvje'Daq ghargh vIyong}?

I read this as "I get into a worm at another cup." Not ungrammatical, but a
bizzare visual. }}: )

> Quvar:
> Or should I {DujwIj vIyong}?

Because of the context of the canon cited from PK above, I am certain this
is the correct usage.

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute