tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 08 16:31:24 2004

Re: Hov = star ?

ja' SuStel:
>How often do you look up at a clear sky and comment, "Sol is out"?

*I* say something similar several times a year, at least, though it's
generally in the company of astronomically-inclined friends.  A couple I
met while camping a few years ago regularly mentioned "Sol shine",
apparently in a conscious attempt to get people to ask about it and thus be
pulled into a discussion of solar energy.  Lately, the term "Sol" has
gotten expanded attention, as the Spirit and Opportunity rovers continue
their exploration of Mars.

Both my wife and my mother-in-law immediately recognized Sol as the name of
our sun when I asked them about it just now.  (Although my wife's first
reaction to my spelling it was a somewhat rude rendition of "short on
luck".)

>Regarding what Okrand says in KGT about {Hov} equalling "star," I'm not
>convinced that this means that the word {Hov} is used in absolutely exactly
>the same way as "star."  Klingon popular music singers, for instance,
>probably aren't called {Hov}!

While bringing up famous/outstanding performers as examples of "stars" is
amusing, don't ignore the fact that KGT explicitly restricts the context to
"celestial objects".

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level