tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 08 06:33:07 2004

Re: Hov = star ?

QeS lagh ([email protected])

Not this argument again. :D

ghItlhpu' SIvten:

>i'd have to agree that they are the same, and that words like "Hov'a'" are
>not among the best candidates for "sun".
>btw, i'm not saying that i disagree that they are the same, just that we
>don't know for sure.

{Hov'a'}, {juH Hov}, {pem Hov} and the others are only meant to be space
fillers until we know the real word for "sun".

{<yuQ> Hov} is probably the most accurate for the time being: {romuluS Hov}
"the Romulan star", {DenIbya' Hov} "the Denebian star", {vulqan Hov} "40
Eridani A" (according to "Sarek"...)

ghItlhpu' qurgh:

>When I see Hov'a' I think of a Red Giant while HovHom would be a Brown or
>White
>Dwarf. I don't see why we don't just use Sun. It's a proper noun, a name,
>so
>shouldn't it be treated like one?

Brilliant. I don't know why I didn't realise this before: Sol and Sun *are*
both proper names. {*Sol* bav tera'}. {chalDaq *Sol* vIlegh}. The only
question is whether *Sol* would be the Klingon word for our sun as well.

{Hov'a'} to me works differently in different contexts. Astrophysicists
would probably use it to refer to a giant star that's no longer on the main
sequence. Farmers would probably understand it as a "big, important or
outstanding star" - in reference to them, their planet's sun. The
augmentative and diminutive suffixes probably need to be looked into a
little more. It would appear that these suffixes create entirely new words
({mIv} vs. {mIv'a'}, {bIQ} vs {bIQ'a'}), so I don't know whether we would
even be able to tell what a word+{-'a'} or word+{-Hom} construct would
necessarily mean.

Savan.

QeS lagh

Get Extra Storage in 10MB, 25MB, 50MB and 100MB options now! Go to
http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-au&page=hotmail/es2

Back to archive top level